Sean at Con Hall

Sean at Con Hall
Yamaha promo shot at Convocation Hall/Toronto

Thursday 3 November 2011

Workin' for them future prospects

Good Morning everyone...we here in the music business are often working for "future prospects. A day's work may not yield an immediate pay cheque, but one hopes that the work accomplished will one day lead to a revenue stream. For me, a portion of the day's work (and what great work it is!) will be writing songs with one of my writing partners, Brian Vollmer of Helix.

I was once a member of Helix as a bassist, but had to leave that post when I got the gig playing guitar with Nelly. However, I have developed an amazing working relationship with Brian that involves writing, producing and playing guitar for the latest Helix recordings. So far I have been involved with three official releases Vagabond Bones, Smash Hits...Unplugged!, and the latest EP Skin In The Game.

Brian and I have already begun work on two new songs for the next Helix record, and we are continuing on with that today. Brian calls songs and their inherent publishing qualities "the gift that keeps on giving", as you never know which tune could end up in a movie, on a tv show, in the hands of another artist or even as a radio hit. As the years you go by, if you stick at it, you can amass quite the collection of ditties, and as that ball o aluminum foil keeps growing, so do the royalty cheques. While I haven't struck it rich with my publishing income (or even come close to it), I have been pleasantly surprised in the last few years.

Of course, financial considerations aside, it is a great satisfaction in my life to hear songs that were written in my living room become cuts on albums by one of my favourite bands...looking forward to sharing this next collection with everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment